At the Other Skincare Company we specialize in compromised skin prone to acne, inflammation, redness and dehydration applying a unique skincare approach.
Our philosophy is deeply rooted in the principles of Corneotherapy, which is a skincare methodology based on repair and maintenance of the skin barrier defense systems and overall boosting the skin’s innate immune system. We are proud to be one of the first companies that introduces this concept in the green beauty space.
An intact skin barrier and a healthy stratum corneum (outermost layer of the skin) are the 2 most important factors for a problem free skin, regardless whether you suffer from acne, inflammation, redness, dryness, dermatitis or skin allergies. The skin barrier is what protects our skin from harmful substances and microorganisms that can trigger all of the above skin problems.
To accomplish this we use “skin-identical” ingredients. These are ingredients that are naturally part of the structure of our skin like ceramides, cholesterol, free fatty acids, hyaluronic acid, glycerol, proteins just to name a few. Supplying skin-identical ingredients to the stratum corneum supports the skin barrier function reducing trans epidermal water loss (TEWL) and restoring epidermal homeostasis.
We blend these barrier boosting ingredients with only the purest, most potent, naturally derived actives and base ingredients to deliver clean and effective products in elegant, cutting edge delivery systems.
All our products are formulated without harsh, striping or irritating ingredients to further ensure the skin barrier function and lipid barrier of the stratum corneum stay intact resulting in a stronger, healthier and more resistant skin.
We only use ingredients that are 100% approved for natural skincare, and are naturally derived or naturally occurring.
We keep essential oils to a minimum and use them only when they function as scientifically proven active ingredients, not to scent our products with them.
- “Skin-identical” ingredients
- Pure plant oils
- Plant extracts (only approved natural solvents used for extraction)
- Pure hydrosols and essential oils
- Plant based proteins
- Minerals and vitamins
- Fruit enzymes
- Bio-available anti-oxidants
- Naturally derived, biodegradable emulsifiers
- Preservatives approved for natural skincare
We never use:
- Ethanolamines - DEA, TEA, MEA, ETA
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- Formaldehyde releasers
- Synthetic fragrance
- Heavy metals
About “skin-identical” Ingredients
We believe that the most “natural” ingredients for our skin are ingredients that are also naturally part of it. Compounds that are part of our stratum corneum (top layer of the skin) like ceramides, cholesterol, and free fatty acids (approximately 50% ceramides, 25% cholesterol and 10–20% free fatty acids) create the so called “lipid matrix” of the upper layer of the skin. Numerous scientific researches show that applying these 3 compounds topically results in an improved barrier function and a restored skin integrity and health.
We also use “skin-identical” ingredients that are part of the Skin Natural Moisturizing Factor (NMF) like:
- Sodium PCA,
- Sodium Lactate,
- Glycerol (glycerin)
- Hyaluronic acid.
These are water soluble humectants that draw water from the atmosphere to our skin keeping it hydrated but also maintaining a healthy pH as well as skin barrier.
Other compounds found in the skin layers or part of the skin sebum are:
- Proteins (like keratin and filaggrin) that have moisturizing and film forming properties when applied topically;
- Squalane makes about 10% of our sebum composition and it protects our skin from lipid peroxidation along with being a fantastic emollient;
- Sterols, certain sterols can increase the synthesis of collagen and decrease the synthesis of enzymes that break down collagen, they can also improve skin elasticity and decrease skin roughness.
The goal of our products is
- To support the Skin Barrier Function and hydration levels with “skin-identical” ingredients boosting the skin’s own defense and repairing functions
- To keep skin’s integrity intact without stripping off essential lipids and respecting the skins optimal pH for a healthy skin.
- To offer only microbiome friendly products
- To use only scientifically proven to be effective, naturally derived actives that calm, protect, nourish and energize the skin.
Green skincare formulation innovation
- We do not use heat when formulating our products to avoid ingredients degradation and ensure maximum potency and efficiency of our actives
- We use innovative, self-emulsification process that enables us to maintain a high concentration of active ingredients resulting in non-greasy, highly hydrating and potent products like our bi-phase, spray moisturizer or oil-to-milk cleanser